Monday, April 18, 2011

The Girls from Ames

The New York Times says of The Girls from Ames:  "Using scrapbooks, photo albums and the women's own memories, Mr. Zaslow chronicles how their close friendship shaped their lives and continue to sustain them.  The role of friendship in their health and well being is evident in almost every chapter."

This true story penned by the writer of The Last Lecture, is a story of eleven girls who have been friends  since kindergarten. At the beginning of the book he has included photos of the girls in a series of three.  Childhood, High School graduation and current. 

The first four chapters deal with each girl individually.  He then tells various tales throughout their lives.  The girls have moved to various parts of the country, but keep in touch by email, phone and reunions.  They comfort each other in times of distress and celebrate the many joys in life.

It is a great book to understand true friendship and to take a peek in other peoples lives.  It has been on a number of best seller lists and most of the people in my book club loved it.

I don't want to critize a great author's work, but one thing bothered me a lot.  I could never keep track of who the girls were.  I often refered back to the front photos, but that was distracting.  I would have liked the book a lot more if Zaslow had had a larger picture of one girl at the beginning of each chapter.  Then discussed her life.  After he had covered each girl that way, then as he told us all the things they did, it would have been much easier to relate to the characters.

I liked the book, but it isn't one I would rave about or suggest it to my friends.

Until next time,
Be Kind to One Another

No comments:

Post a Comment