Thursday, September 22, 2011

Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn, by Diana Gabaldon is the fourth book in the Outlander series.  It can be read without reading the first three books, but if I had known it was part of a series, I would have liked to start at the beginning

This novel has been categorized as Science-fiction, Romance, Historical, Fantasy, Mystery, Militar4y History, Gay and Lesbian Fiction and Horror.  I think some of these descriptions are really reaching for a category. 

The story begins in Charleston in 1767 in a Scottish Stone circle where a selected few are allowed to go back in time.  Claire Randall has been able to go back twice.  Her daughter Brianna also goes back to try to change history.

My two favorite charters are Claire and Jamie, her husband.  To me, they represent true love.  The author makes them so true to life you feel more like you are reading a real person's diary rather than a novel.

Gabaldon's books are long.  This one over 1000 pages.  She is also great at description.  She goes into great detail and for someone who doesn't like  everything described to them, this may be a problem.  Personally, I lovedescriptions, however, even I felt that she went a little overboard. She could have left out a few and also eliminated a few minor characters. 

I really liked the book and intend to read the whole series.  For you who are interested, here is a list in order:\
1.  The Outlander
2.  Dragon Fly in Amber
3.  Voyager
4.  Drums of Autumn
5.  The Fiery Cross
6.  A Breath of Snow and Ashes
7.  An echo in the Bone

She also has another series, but we will leave that for another time.  If you read these book, I would love to know what you think of them.

Until next time,
Be kind to one another

No comments:

Post a Comment